Try these top 10 tips that will get you noticed in the show ring.
- Be on time- don’t keep the judge waiting.
- Know the rules – this means class requirements, clothing and tack restrictions.
photo credit: potzuyoko
- Be prepared – Have your tack, brushes and equipment ready and waiting.
- Be prepared mentally – Know your course, requirements and strategies for your day of showing.
- Clean your tack. And remove the rain stops from the reins (unless you need them for your running martingale). Tuck the extra ends of leather on your noseband into the runner and keeper. No flapping straps.
- Have your horse turned out really well. Brushed, bathed and braided. If you can’t braid then hire someone on the show grounds to braid your horse.
photo credit: carterse
- Have your horses tail braided. This, in my opinion, is the icing on the cake and makes that difference in getting noticed.
- Oil the horse’s hooves. Even if it wears off before the end of the round, start the beginning of the round like a winner.
- Wipe off your boots. Nothing says I don’t care like having a piece of manure or hay hanging from the heel of your boot.
- Have fun and know that what is in your brain goes down the rein. Be relaxed and enjoy your ride.